Senior Finance & Admin Assistant
Nature Canada is a national nature conservation charity with over 80 years experience working with Canadians and local nature groups to discover, defend and restore nature. Nature Canada has helped protect over 63 million acres of parks and wildlife areas in Canada and countless species that depend on this habitat. We support and mobilize a Nature Nation of over 100,000 individual supporters and a Nature Network of 800 local and regional nature groups. We focus on effecting change on issues of national significance including citizen science, urban nature, protected areas, nature-based climate solutions and endangered species.
The Senior Finance & Admin Assistant will be the cool, calm number two in our two-person Finance and Admin team, which everyone knows is the foundation of a strong organization. The successful candidate will be incredibly detail-oriented, happy to pitch in, and has an eye for improving processes. This is a super opportunity for someone with a love of numbers to strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, long standing charity as well as learn in the role. This position reports to the Director of Finance and Administration.
Description of Duties
- Daily accounting data entry functions
- Invoicing, petty cash, maintaining records
- Preparing the weekly cheque run
- Bank reconciliation
- Accounts payable and receivable
- Journal entries
- Working with fundraising batch records
- General administrative help including preparing contracts, invoices, letters
- General assistance in office management
Qualifications and Experience
- Successful completion of a recognized diploma or certification with specialization in accounting/bookkeeping or demonstrated equivalent experience
- Experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payment processing
- Proven work experience as a Finance Assistant or similar role, preferably with a Canadian charity
- Hands-on experience with accounting software, preferably QuickBooks
- Experience with CRMs will be an asset, especially Raiser’s Edge
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel (creating spreadsheets and charts and using financial Excel functions)
- Experience with GSuite
- Time-management and organization skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven proactive problem solver, able to work independently
The salary range for this position is $50,000-$60,000/year, with a benefits package that kicks in after a 3-month probation period.
Please send a detailed cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Finance & Admin Assistant” in the subject line before February 20, 2021. Your cover letter must include how you personally align with the mission of Nature Canada. No calls please. We thank all candidates for their interest, but we will only contact those selected for an interview.
Note: We are currently working remotely for the majority of the time; however, this position does entail going into the Ottawa office for one to two days a week. COVID protocols are in place including masking and physically distancing. Once we are past this pandemic, the work will be in-office full time.
We encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups. Nature Canada is committed to a workplace free from discrimination, harassment and intimidation where everyone can participate safely, freely and confidently.