How to Stay Green in the New Year
This blog is written by guest blogger, Eileen Magill.
The year is coming to an end and 2017 is fast approaching. This new year, why not make a resolution to be kinder to the environment? I have compiled a list of ways that you can make 2017 green, clean, and easy on our earth.
Commuting to work, school, or just travelling anywhere can produce lots of harmful emissions. Here are some ways to reduce your contribution of these emissions:
- Take public transit instead of driving
- Carpool with your colleagues or friends
- If your destination is close enough, bike or walk there
- If it’s in your budget, buy a hybrid or electric vehicle
Many people, myself included, sometimes forget that all of our waste has to end up somewhere. Here are some ways you can reduce your garbage output:
- Recycle, recycle, recycle!
- Put all unfinished food in a compost
- Buy fresh foods instead of packaged food
- Buy a reusable coffee mug to use instead of plastic cups
- Use reusable containers instead of plastic wrap or disposable options
- Avoid using single coffee “pods” that can’t be recycled
Believe it or not, but the food you buy and consume has a huge effect on the environment. Here are some ways you can be a more environmentally friendly grocery shopper and eater:
- Buy local produce instead of imported goods
- Shop at farmer’s markets
- Try to grow your own spices – there are many ways that you can have a small garden in your window sill
Perhaps the biggest impact you can have on the environment is to live greener in your own home. Here are some ways you can be kind to the environment in your home:
- Keep temperature at 19 degrees Celsius and wear a sweater
- Turn off your air conditioning sometimes and use fans instead
- Turn off lights and unplug accessories when you’re not using them
- Use electricity at off peak times (this is because clean energy sources can often take care of base load needs but when too many people are using electricity at the same time then natural gas needs to be added)
- Get home energy retrofit
- Make sure your home is properly insulated so you don’t lose heat and waste energy
With each passing year, our earth is slowly degrading and it is up to us to reverse this trend. Even committing to two or three of these above suggestions can have a huge impact on the future of our earth. Let’s make 2017 a great year for the environment!