Tell Canada’s Prime Minister: Don’t Forget the Environment
Canadians elected Prime Minister Stephen Harper to a second minority government on October 14. Now, as the Prime Minister sets his agenda for the future, help ensure that nature conservation is not forgotten! Send a letter urging the Prime Minister to make the following actions a top priority of his Government:
- Recognize that protected areas are key to curbing carbon emissions, and commit to completing Canada’s network of national wildlife areas, national parks, national marine protected areas and migratory bird sanctuaries.
- Work with the provinces to achieve a country-wide goal of protecting a minimum of 50 percent of Canada’s boreal forest.
- Ensure that the Arctic environment (including habitat for terrestrial and marine wildlife and migratory birds) is protected from the impacts of oil and gas development and shipping.
- Commit Canada to becoming a world leader in the production of low-impact renewable sources of electricity, heat and fuels by 2020.
- Recognize that the economy and the environment are interconnected, and create water, energy and agriculture policies that are environmentally sustainable.
By sending a letter to the Prime Minister, you’re sending a signal that a healthy environment is important to you, and that it should be important for him too.