Nature Canada’s mission is to protect and conserve wildlife and habitats in Canada by engaging people and advocating on behalf of nature. Our strategies are based on sound science and a passion for nature. Our focus is on effecting change on issues of national significance, including bird and biodiversity conservation, wilderness protection, threatened species and connecting people to nature.
The Donor Care and Donorbase Officer delivers excellent donor care to our members and supporters. The Officer ensures the efficient and effective processing and acknowledgement of all donations. He/she will manage and implement the gift processing procedures for Nature Canada’s donorbases. He/she implements the outreach, systems, tools and technology to support fund development goals. Timely responses to donor inquiries, follow-up and outreach calls, inputting of gifts, thank you calls, letters and tax receipts, data processing/analysis and financial reporting are all critical to ensure fundraising success. He/she works closely with the Director of Development to meet the organization’s annual and long term revenue goals.
Duration: 12 month contract
(with possibility of renewal)
Salary: to be negotiated
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Closing date: July 31, 2014
11:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time (UTC−7)
Job Description and Duties:
Donor Care and Service:
- Act as front-line reception for incoming donor telephone calls, letters and email correspondence.
- Ensure timely responses to donor inquiries including the status of gift receipts, issues with lost or spoiled receipts, pledge balances and other concerns.
- Ensure that updates and changes to donor information is properly entered and up to date in the RE database.
- Develop templates for in-house letters/coupons/surveys/thank you cards with the review and final approval of the Director of Development. Leads on fulfillment and mailing of any in-house communications
- Continuously update letters of acknowledgement template.
- Resolve issues in a timely, proactive and donor-focused manner as they pertain to receipting, recognition issues, and database errors.
- Execute the entire gift-processing procedure for Nature Canada, including but not limited to: inputting one-time gifts; processing monthly giving batches and associated fulfillment; timely receipting, welcome packages and thank-you letters; processing pledges and pledge reminders; running monthly and year-end reconciliation reports for the Finance Department; and verifying all pertinent information given with the gift and making necessary record changes in the database.
- Process credit card donations using Moneris, as well as check for online gifts made through CanadaHelps and online software (Luminate), process accordingly into donor database, and provide reporting on online campaigns
- Manage volunteers who are supporting in-house mailers and donation acknowledgements
- Thoroughly understand and ensure compliance with Canada Revenue Agency requirements for issuing receipts accurately.
- Oversee all aspects of the donor database to ensure that data integrity and data accuracy is maintained by running regular system checks and quality control audits.
- Ensure all coding is entered accurately for gift activities such as mailings, events, newsletters and other contacts including the recording and use of campaign, fund and appeal codes.
- Upload back-end data files to tracking and analysis purposes.
- Assist in the up-to-date maintenance of a written set of guidelines and standard protocols around the database processes.
- Evaluate and recommend database enhancements.
- Welcome and thank you telephone calls, telephone and email acknowledgements for annual report lists.
- Produce campaign analysis and monthly fundraising reports upon request.
- Participate as support at donor/outreach events when appropriate.
- Carry out other tasks as required.
- The Donor Care and Donorbase Officer reports to the Director of Development. (The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director.)
Summary of Qualifications and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma (university or college) in fundraising is an asset.
- A minimum of 2-3 years proven experience with data entry and Raiser’s Edge database system and/or other donor databases (preferred).
- Proficiency with MS Office, Adobe Acrobat and online software systems
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with members and supporters with proven experience in donor/customer service
- Working knowledge of CRA guidelines for income tax receipting.
- Solution-driven with a constant desire to make things more effective/efficient.
- Detail-oriented and good proof-reading skills to ensure data accuracy/ integrity.
- Team member willing to assist others in the development team
- Able to manage competing deadlines
- Ability to work in English and French proficiency deemed an asset.
Competition closes July 31, 2014
11:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time (UTC−7)
Please do not submit duplicate applications
Or apply by mail:
For applicants wishing to apply via traditional mail in lieu of an online application, please mail your CV and covering letter to:
Hiring Committee, Nature Canada,
75 Albert Street, Suite 300
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5E7