The Charles Labatiuk Volunteer Award was established through the legacy gift of Charles Labatiuk and the Charles Labatiuk Nature Endowment Fund. Charles Labatiuk was an avid nature conservationist, mountaineer and world traveler who enjoyed and excelled as a photographer, writer, gardener, and pianist. This award was introduced to honour his life and his passion for nature.
Charles Labatiuk Volunteer Award Recipients
- Carlos Barbery (2013)
- Annie Buckton (2011)
A resident of Canada, under the age of 18, who has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to volunteerism or mentorship, in an individual role, working toward the promotion or protection of Canadian natural spaces and the species that live within these natural spaces.
- The Awards Committee named by the Board will independently rate the nominations;
- The Chairperson of the committee will collate the results of this rating and provide them to the Board for ratification.
- The Board shall vote to ratify or not ratify the Committee’s decision;
- If ratified, the Board shall confer the Conservation Partner Award (formerly the Affiliate Award) on the affiliate at appropriate time and place, usually at the Annual General Meeting.
- On the recommendation of the Committee, a file may remain active for years or until an award is made to the nominee, which ever comes first. Nominations must be received by 5pm EST on May 1st of each year for consideration of that year’s award.
The Affiliate Award consists of the following:
- A story on the Nature Canada website describing the achievements of the recipient;
- Announcement of the winner at Nature Canada’s Annual Meeting;
- The presentation of a framed certificate for display in the affiliate’s office by the Nature Canada President, or his/her delegate, at an appropriate time and place.